Oh, how I love to bake- I love kneading the dough…I love seeing it rise…and most of all I love the smell of yummy goodness filling my home.
I’ve been wanting some homemade cinnamon rolls for a couple of days, but I was out of yeast. So…Mr. Pink picked some up–and the next day– I was happily putting together some super-yummy rolls!
I enjoy making things from scratch the old-fashioned way from time to time…no mixers- just lots of muscle. But, usually I rely on this little friend 🙂
Here is the recipe I adapted from a delicious recipe on AllRecipes I found several years ago.
- 1 cup warm milk – I just stick it in the microwave for about 30 seconds
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour – I don’t usually have bread flour on hand, so I add 3 tsp of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- Packet of yeast
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Penzey’s Cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk and let sit for about 15 minutes to really let the yeast start to activate.
- Mix in sugar, butter, salt and eggs. (Medium speed on mixer)
- Add flour, 1 cup at a time and mix well- (I use the kneading attachment on the Kitchenaid) Mix until the dough leaves the sides of the bowl. (Remember sticky dough is okay–it does not have to be so full of flour there is no stickiness- but, it does need to hold it’s shape)
- Place in greased bowl, cover with saran wrap and towel and place in a warm spot-or away from any drafts. I always place mine on top of the oven.
- Let rise for 1 hour or so.
- Knead dough on floured surface for a bit and then Roll dough out to desired thickness.
- Spread dough with 1/3 cup butter
- and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls.
- Place rolls in a lightly greased 9×13 inch baking pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes or so. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. While rolls are baking, beat together cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving if you want 🙂