We had quite a few fresh peaches to do something with, before they were wasted–so, I decided to make a Peach Cobbler. I have made these in the past, because they are my husband’s favorite treat–but, none of them were PERFECT, in his eyes.
So, I made something, part pie/part cobbler- It has a pie type bottom crust, and a lattice top, but made in a 9×13 pan. It does take a little over 2 hours to make–but, I am told it is worth it. It is very juicy, and I guess–PERFECT!!
I had a great little helper, in rolling out the crust, (or nibbling on it, anyway)–
So, instead of doing just a regular boring ol’ lattice top–we cut out a, “J” for Jaxen and a spaceship for Buzz Lightyear! Sorry, about the picture–I forgot to take a pic, until it was 1/2 eaten!!
The recipe is:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 pounds fresh peaches – peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, and salt. Work in the shortening with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and cold water. Sprinkle over flour mixture, and work with hands to form dough into a ball. Chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Roll out half of dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Place in a 9×13 inch baking dish, covering bottom and halfway up sides. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In a large saucepan, mix the peaches, lemon juice, and orange juice. Add 1/2 cup butter, and cook over medium-low heat until butter is melted. In a mixing bowl, stir together 2 cups sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cornstarch; mix into peach mixture. Remove from heat, and pour into baked crust.
- Roll remaining dough to a thickness of 1/4 inch. Cut into half-inch-wide strips. Weave strips into a lattice over peaches. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until top crust is golden brown.